Homepage - English

Information for foreign students

Jobweb is a job-database, that is created by and for the student-services of the higher education institutions of Antwerp. This system can help you in finding a suitable job. It also provides you with some useful information: participating institutions, general information and legal requirements.

How does it work ?

In order to access the online-section, you need a password. In the section “participating institutions” you can find the addresses, phone-numbers and contact persons of the student services that are participating in this service.

Whom are we able to help ?

Students that are admitted to one of the abovementioned institutions. Important: you need to contact the student service of the institution where you are enlisted. We are there for you, so please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions.

Important remarks and legal requirements

As a foreign student you may find it difficult to get a job. First there’s the language problem: a lot of job opportunities require the knowledge of Dutch.

Second: if you are an international student from outside the European Union, you need:

  • a valid residence permit;
  • to be enrolled in fulltime daytime education (you are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week; and only in your spare time, when no lectures are going on);
  • a labour card c.

If you are a citizen of a country belonging to the European Union you are exempted for either a work permit or a labour card. The employer can employ you in the same manner as a Belgian student. However, you need to have a legal residence permit and you have to be enrolled in the National Register “Rijksregister”.

At this moment the countries of the European Union are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and the same regulations are valid for the countries of the European Economic space: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein.

Important remark: although Bulgaria and Romania became new members of the EU in January 2007, students coming from these countries will be regarded as non-EU until 31 December 2013.

Students from Switzerland may work in Belgium without a work permit.

Before a student can begin his job, he needs to sign a contract. In most cases the employer will present you a contract. A translated model of this kind of contract can be found in the “model contract” section. Having a contract is an important requirement to do a job in Belgium; if that is not the case, you are working illegally, and you will not be covered by health-insurance.

How to get a work permit C card?

  1. Collect forms a) and b) from the social service a) aanvraagformulier arbeidskaart C IM.3 okt2011 (“application form work permit C”) b) inlichtingenformulier IM.10.1 1 okt2011(“information sheet”)

  2. Fill form a) in MAJORS.

  3. Make a copy of your residence card = your ‘white’ card

  4. Collect the forms and go to your town hall/district house

  5. Form b) “information sheet” will be filled and stamped here

  6. Ask for the form ‘uittreksel uit het vreemdelingenregister’ (“extra information sheet mentioning your home address, date of arrival, …) This will cost you € 11,25.

  7. Please hand in the file at Dienst Migratie en Arbeidsbemiddelingsbureaus Provincie Antwerpen, Lange Kievitstraat 111-113 box 22, 2018 Antwerpen, tel. 03-224 95 05, arbeidskaart.antwerpen@vlaanderen.be

For downloading and printing the forms click here.

A couple of weeks later you will be invited (by letter) to go and collect the work permit C card in your town hall/district house.